Skip to main content

To DK Kodama - Auwe - Sansei is over rated


Last night 27 of us went to Sansei in Waikoloa, Hawaii and maybe it was the anticipation and the years of my husband telling me he would take me to Sansei that just made everything wrong from the beginning.
First, the host kept emphasizing that if we were not there by 10 minutes after our reservation, they would cancel our table. We know that, we always travel in that big of a contingent. We got there early.
Second, they wouldn't do separate checks for each family. They did three checks instead of the five checks we requested. Like I said, we do this all the time and much more exclusive restaurants accommodate us with separate checks, as well as more casual restaurants.
Third, several people chose the chef special which was a sampler menu and it took way too long for all the courses to come. The kids were getting antsy and some of us started going to dairy queen across the walkway before the last courses came.
Fourth, my son took from the keiki menu. BIG mistake. Keiki menu should have an age maximum of 4 or 5 years old. He ordered the shrimp tempura plate and got no rice and 3 pieces of tempura. Hello DK, not like your're a skinny buggah like Chai. I not saying you fat, but come on, this is Hawaii, who are you trying to feed here? I had to reorder an adult meal for my boy and he ate all of both of the meals and still went to DQ for ice cream.
Fifth, I must admit, I'm kind of a SUSHI SNOB. I am picky about rice, picky about the amount of seasoning in the rice, picky about the freshness of the wasabi and the shoga, and especially, picky about the freshness of the ingredients. The sign says Restaurant and SUSHI BAR. I ordered an assortment of sushi and it was "eh" (shoulders raised, mouth folded down, "eh). I'm trying to see things from DK's point of view, you know, he's not the one working every night at Waikoloa, it's not his flagship, but brother, your sushi is nothing wow and not worth the price. Sushi Mon in Vegas, in a strip mall off the main road with like 6 tables and a small counter has better sushi for way less and they are speedy with hamachi to DIE for. And shoga, you know that pickled ginger, sliced thin and put on the side of the dish to cleanse the palate between pieces. . .no more. Even Genki has ginger.
Last - where do you get your wait help? This one guy was like standing on the side of the tables and making diagrams and charts, numbering us and redrawing his circles and x's. I saw him do it twice, but it could have been more than that.
The one positive thing: we had a waitress - local girl from Waipi'o. She actually brought the kids ice cream and suggested things on the menu that we'd like, especially since the menu is so cluttered, it's hard to make heads or tails out of anything. The menu needs to be reorganized, feng shui'd, pared down, reformatted, something. Back to this wahine - maika'i loa.
If you disagree, let me know what you liked and which one you went to. I'm not totally against trying Sansei again, who knows. Just my mana'o.

Comments

onebadscrivener said…
I'm no sushi snob. In fact, I'm sort of a sushi beginner, despite a Japanese mom and a lifetime of living here. However, I went to Sushi Sasabune with some very sushi-literate friends, and it was AMAZING. Best dang meal I've ever had in my LIFE! So if you haven't been there, you have to check it out the next time you're here. Seriously. And then let me know what you think. *sigh* I fear I may be spoiled for sushi forever and ever and ever. I couldn't afford to eat it this past week; I don't know that I'll ever really be able to afford it again. Yet it keeps calling me!

Popular posts from this blog

Kino (an indigenous logic model): post 1 of 4

Passion I have. What I need is to practice my elevator speeches, those short informative program synopses that can be done in the time it takes to ride the elevator.  Of course it will take me 4 posts. Post 1: The honua: building on solid ground The Alana culture-based education course is graphically depicted by the above logic model. The honua (green box), the earth, represents the mo'ok ūauhau, the geneology of this program that informs and guides the building of this course. Dr. Shawn Kanaʻiaupuni and her team lay the foundation for culture-based education (CBE) modeling and immersion within the course. Dr. Walter Kahumoku and Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa, in consultation with Dr. Bernice McCarthy (4Mat) bring to the geneology the work of moenahā, a curriculum planning concept based on the way kupuna taught. Makawalu, literally eight eyes, is a concept practiced by Kaʻimipono Kaiwi and her teachers at Kamehameha Kapālama to encourage multiple perspectives in the standards-b

Tech Tools to Support Formative Assessment in the Classroom

  Source:  Dyer, K. (Jan. 31, 2019). 75 digital tools and apps teachers can use to support formative assessment. NWEA blog . What is sacred: Normally, when I read an article that I am going to use for class, I highlight citations that are sacred, but this is a different type of article, so what I wanted to do was keep track of apps that I tried in class or am trying and use Dyer's own lens to talk about worth and value in my own classroom. I cannot do 75. I will do 5. Her criteria: S upports formative instructional strategies and ways to activate learners to be resources for themselves and peers Is free or awful close to it (under $10 per year, where possible) When possible, both students and teachers can take the activator role (sometimes teachers need to get things started) 1. Flipgrid  allows you, students, families to do a video response (from 15 seconds to now 10 minutes - I love a good upgrade). New in 2020 besides the added time - it used to be maxed at 5 minutes - is the a

50 Mentor Text Across Antarctica

Grann, D. (2018, February 12 & 13). The white darkness: A solitary journey across Antarctica. New Yorker Magazine . Retrieved from here . What the New Yorker  does for me is to bring into my periphery vision these people and their stories that I would not know about if I had not picked up the article. What the New Yorker  does for me is gather the most beautifully talented writers to bring these people's lives to life in a way that has me crying and cheering and rushing through while slowing down to savor the adventure, the joy and the bittersweet loss of living a real life. I will remember Henry Worsley and his wife Joanne, his son Max and his daughter that he calls "Shrimp" although his children are both adults. These Brits, via an American magazine found their way to a small Pacific Island surrounded by our own blue Antarctica. These are the kinds of pieces that I want to use as mentor texts for my students. Even when I do not know how I would use it exce