Skip to main content

The Color of Nothing and Everything

 

Photo by Daian Gan Pexels

Author's note: what color is nothing? was the prompt that led me to this rabbit hole. I'm not sure what I want to do with this. I am thinking I would like to know what unexpected lessons others have learned about themselves through teachers. I feel like the dumb girly is a different piece or I need to weave it better into the end in order to justify the space I give to the dumb girly thing. 


In 7th grade art class, Ms. Glazer taught us about mixing water colors, the color wheel and the potential of water. She also told me that I was not an artist. It stopped my random doodling on the margins of my Holly Hobbie journal. It made me hesitant when I had to take industrial arts in 8th grade because we had to design a t-shirt for silk screening. How do I design on silkscreen when I have lost the ability to art? 

Despite my lack of talent in art, I did remember that black can represent the presence of all colors. White is colorless. But at the end of the semester, what I really learned is that unlike black and white, when you try to mix any of the colors that you are not supposed to mix, you get poop brown. Brown like the mud pies I used to make under my grandfather's mango trees. Poop brown me. 

In my 9th grade news writing class, Mr. Bass talked about black ink as one of the colors needed to create other colors, so in printing, black is crucial and necessary.  Mr. Bass was my only African American teacher. He taught my law class in high school, made up of mostly boys and three of us girls. He would be talking about a brief and questioning us as he shuffled back and forth alongside our rows. Whenever he called one of us girls he would say, "come on dumb girly, show them what you got." His class made me wake up extra early to prepare for his class so that I would not be a dumb girly, but every day, he would greet me at the door with hey dumb girly! I learned about oxymorons from Mr. Bass like necessary blackness and powerful dumb girlies.

But in physics with Mr. Bailey, he taught us that in the light spectrum, black is the absence of color while white is the presence of all colors, a result of the scattering and reflection of the full light spectrum. That knowledge did not help me in physics. I could not figure out  how to make the math of physics as magic as light spectrum rainbow refractions in my brain. 

What Mr. Bailey did was to help me see that I am an artist on white paper that holds the endless "full light spectrum" of possibilities for words and word play that is art. From Ms. Glazer I learned about being specifically descriptive about color. Is the ripe mango on my grandfather's tree orange, no it's more than just orange, but a dusting of cinnabar to make it more earthy and I get vermillion. The specific words and the intentions of a well chosen word put on the white paper was my own way to paint through joy and loss, laughter and angst. From Mr. Bass I learned that this kind of art is in black print. I do not need to play with fonts or write in gel colored pens. The words itself make up the art. The black ink makes it permanent and is a nice interplay with intentional white spaces that take as much planning and breath control as the words. That too is the ability to art. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kino (an indigenous logic model): post 1 of 4

Passion I have. What I need is to practice my elevator speeches, those short informative program synopses that can be done in the time it takes to ride the elevator.  Of course it will take me 4 posts. Post 1: The honua: building on solid ground The Alana culture-based education course is graphically depicted by the above logic model. The honua (green box), the earth, represents the mo'ok ūauhau, the geneology of this program that informs and guides the building of this course. Dr. Shawn Kanaʻiaupuni and her team lay the foundation for culture-based education (CBE) modeling and immersion within the course. Dr. Walter Kahumoku and Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa, in consultation with Dr. Bernice McCarthy (4Mat) bring to the geneology the work of moenahā, a curriculum planning concept based on the way kupuna taught. Makawalu, literally eight eyes, is a concept practiced by Kaʻimipono Kaiwi and her teachers at Kamehameha Kapālama to encourage multiple perspectives in the standards-b

5 things that teachers do when they are in all-day workshops

1. Listen attentively for 10 minutes Presenters: welcome to your worst teaching nightmare. Teachers learn how to be antsy from their students. If you have a lot of middle school teachers, expect them to act like middle schoolers, ADHD disorders and all. You have 10 minutes to hook us and we want to get up, move and be active every half hour. 2. Talk to our neighbor while the presenter is still talking This practice is a natural way for teachers to use each other as a sounding board for the connections they are making to their own teaching (or they're just gossiping). If you can't tell the difference between productive noise and idle gossip, you need to go back to the classroom and practice. 3. Text and read posts When speakers talk about another author, or another concept, we get on our smart phones and look up the links so we can expand our knowledge immediately. (Or we're blogging or catching up on our email). Don't be offended. Only kick us out if we don't realiz

The Last Teacher

  6/4/24 Anna's last day was Friday, May 31, 2024 She collected all of her gifts and notes from her students Took pictures with her seniors who she had as freshmen four years ago Turned in her keys and walked away from her Georgia classroom made up of predominantly  black and brown students  who needed her to stay. She is not (really) leaving because of the constant shift of politics/policies/procedures of her school district She survived that. She is not (really) leaving because she suddenly lost her colleague and mentor last year, her marigold. She survived that. She is not (really) leaving because of the overwhelming needs of her students  Who continue to need her even after they have left her class.  She did this tearfully because she was both too empty and too full to stay another year. She is going to graduate school for counseling in the fall Her next dream is to do horse therapy for children and young adults. She sees this as a failure on her part.  She could not stay in th