Skip to main content

The Night Lahaina Burned

 


Author's Note: I'm not sure what the story will be. I ended my first independent writing time with the first two lines and perhaps an idea that I would be writing about the things I lost in the fire, or maybe things I gained from the fire.  After the daily conversation about the prompt with teachers talking about events like 9/11 and Columbine, it seems to be the beginning of  a connection with some national/international shared traumas and how that linked to my own life and also shifted at that moment how I choose to live life. I am letting this just reveal itself so any feedback is welcome as I try to see what sticks. 

6/5/24

On the night Lahaina burned, August 8, 2023, Tuesday,

I dreamt about my great grandfather's church burning

as if I was somehow in the graveyard looking toward Lahainaluna Road

only to wake up to the photo

of the Waiola Church social hall burning.

Not a dream,

more like a portal that opened up, or my spirit traveling to say goodbye one last time.

There are traumas like this that we bear witness to  over the television, radio, computer--

traumas that  intrude upon our daily nothing days until our lives pause mid step,

the road diverges until  some shared memory of 

"where were you when. . ." becomes a personal shift in our identity. 

January 28, 1986, Tuesday

I am a freshman at my plan C university  because I am stupidly following a boy

who would not have done the same for me. 

I go to his dorm after organic chemistry

and never make it up to his room because in the common area

five people are huddled near the television to watch the Challenger blast off into space.

I am there to watch Kealakekua Hawai'i astronaut Ellison Onizuka, the first Asian American in space. 

73 seconds later, the crew compartment explodes

46,000 feet above the Atlantic Ocean

and in the silence of the room, 

I watch slow motion reruns of the bomb-like explosion, then the trails of smoke and contrails

sailing erratic in the wind. 

I leave a note on the boy's door from one of his favorite authors, Louis L'amour: "A ship does not sail with yesterday's wind," and walk away. 

September 11, 2001, Tuesday

In Hawai'i, I am up at 3 am because boy 3, who sleeps in our bed,

has wedged himself sideways with his head pushing against my ribs and his feet pushing into my husband's neck.

It is both too early to get up and too late to sleep, so I turn the television on.

The image opens up with what I think is a fire in New York City. In the early morning darkness, my senses do not rise at the same time, so I watch images, live and repeated until the words of the broadcasters

start to mesh with the images playing out in front of me:

2:46 a.m. HST - Flight 11 crashes into floors 93 through 99 of the North Tower. At this point no one is sure how this accident happened. It is a beautiful September morning in New York.

The sky around the grey plumes is a cerulean blue

3:03 a.m. HST - After a flight attendant sends out a brief alert to air traffic control that a hijacking on Flight 175 is underway at 3:00 a.m. HST, Flight 175 crashes into floors 77 through 85 of the South Tower.

3:05 a.m. HST - President Bush is reading a book at Emma E. Booker Elementary. Andrew Card, White House Chief of staff, whispers something in his ear. The President nods, but does not say yet. When he does, he says "terrorism against our country will not stand."

I carry my still sleeping three year old to the other room with his brothers. I lay him down with boy 2, who is 8 and wake up boy 1, 13 and a transfer freshman to the high school I teach at. 

The three of us, including my husband, continue to watch the events unfold as we talk about our own fears, our own questions, our own plan as a family to stay close.

We know, without knowing. The beginning is near. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kino (an indigenous logic model): post 1 of 4

Passion I have. What I need is to practice my elevator speeches, those short informative program synopses that can be done in the time it takes to ride the elevator.  Of course it will take me 4 posts. Post 1: The honua: building on solid ground The Alana culture-based education course is graphically depicted by the above logic model. The honua (green box), the earth, represents the mo'ok ūauhau, the geneology of this program that informs and guides the building of this course. Dr. Shawn Kanaʻiaupuni and her team lay the foundation for culture-based education (CBE) modeling and immersion within the course. Dr. Walter Kahumoku and Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa, in consultation with Dr. Bernice McCarthy (4Mat) bring to the geneology the work of moenahā, a curriculum planning concept based on the way kupuna taught. Makawalu, literally eight eyes, is a concept practiced by Kaʻimipono Kaiwi and her teachers at Kamehameha Kapālama to encourage multiple perspectives in the standards-b

5 things that teachers do when they are in all-day workshops

1. Listen attentively for 10 minutes Presenters: welcome to your worst teaching nightmare. Teachers learn how to be antsy from their students. If you have a lot of middle school teachers, expect them to act like middle schoolers, ADHD disorders and all. You have 10 minutes to hook us and we want to get up, move and be active every half hour. 2. Talk to our neighbor while the presenter is still talking This practice is a natural way for teachers to use each other as a sounding board for the connections they are making to their own teaching (or they're just gossiping). If you can't tell the difference between productive noise and idle gossip, you need to go back to the classroom and practice. 3. Text and read posts When speakers talk about another author, or another concept, we get on our smart phones and look up the links so we can expand our knowledge immediately. (Or we're blogging or catching up on our email). Don't be offended. Only kick us out if we don't realiz

The Last Teacher

  6/4/24 Anna's last day was Friday, May 31, 2024 She collected all of her gifts and notes from her students Took pictures with her seniors who she had as freshmen four years ago Turned in her keys and walked away from her Georgia classroom made up of predominantly  black and brown students  who needed her to stay. She is not (really) leaving because of the constant shift of politics/policies/procedures of her school district She survived that. She is not (really) leaving because she suddenly lost her colleague and mentor last year, her marigold. She survived that. She is not (really) leaving because of the overwhelming needs of her students  Who continue to need her even after they have left her class.  She did this tearfully because she was both too empty and too full to stay another year. She is going to graduate school for counseling in the fall Her next dream is to do horse therapy for children and young adults. She sees this as a failure on her part.  She could not stay in th