Skip to main content

To Teach


 

Author's Note: This is going to be about how I got into teaching as a 3rd generation teacher. I guess I was fighting being a teacher, but my experiences outside of teaching led me to the fact that teaching was always going to be the choice. I have not regretted the acceptance of my role in the 30 plus years that Iʻve been doing this.


 At 17, I was a pig hunter for the Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park.

Well, actually, I was a pig trapper, pig radio collar "hunter," bait girl, pig mama.

I did not accompany the hunters and scientists with a gun, knife, rope.

Just me and my green rubber boots, Leviʻs 501 button downs,

and my favorite purple and pink Izod shirt. 

On the day that one of my snares caught and killed a pig,

my title changed to forensic science assistant.

At 17, the title made me important enough to drive the official national park F150,

pick up the police forensics guy at Kilauea Military camp at 7 am,

open the evacuation locks, trek him through the rain forest on a 3 mile hike

to the "body farm." It was my first fascination with dead bodies, 

the smell of life breaking down and new life blooming.

At 18, not wanting to continue wearing stiff, slightly wet jeans

I informed my college counselor that I was going to medical school to do autopsies.

It really was the fascination of discovery,

the clean cut from the scalpel

the bone dust fragments flying through the air,

the way the lab smelled both astringent and familiar after four hour labs

the familiar heft of intestines, the delicacy of a pancreas. 

But when I rode home on public transportation, my clothes, my hair, my skin

reeking of a formaldehyde that I could no longer smell, 

I became like the homeless addict relegated to the back corner of the bus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kino (an indigenous logic model): post 1 of 4

Passion I have. What I need is to practice my elevator speeches, those short informative program synopses that can be done in the time it takes to ride the elevator.  Of course it will take me 4 posts. Post 1: The honua: building on solid ground The Alana culture-based education course is graphically depicted by the above logic model. The honua (green box), the earth, represents the mo'ok ūauhau, the geneology of this program that informs and guides the building of this course. Dr. Shawn Kanaʻiaupuni and her team lay the foundation for culture-based education (CBE) modeling and immersion within the course. Dr. Walter Kahumoku and Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa, in consultation with Dr. Bernice McCarthy (4Mat) bring to the geneology the work of moenahā, a curriculum planning concept based on the way kupuna taught. Makawalu, literally eight eyes, is a concept practiced by Kaʻimipono Kaiwi and her teachers at Kamehameha Kapālama to encourage multiple perspectives in the standards-b

5 things that teachers do when they are in all-day workshops

1. Listen attentively for 10 minutes Presenters: welcome to your worst teaching nightmare. Teachers learn how to be antsy from their students. If you have a lot of middle school teachers, expect them to act like middle schoolers, ADHD disorders and all. You have 10 minutes to hook us and we want to get up, move and be active every half hour. 2. Talk to our neighbor while the presenter is still talking This practice is a natural way for teachers to use each other as a sounding board for the connections they are making to their own teaching (or they're just gossiping). If you can't tell the difference between productive noise and idle gossip, you need to go back to the classroom and practice. 3. Text and read posts When speakers talk about another author, or another concept, we get on our smart phones and look up the links so we can expand our knowledge immediately. (Or we're blogging or catching up on our email). Don't be offended. Only kick us out if we don't realiz

The Last Teacher

  6/4/24 Anna's last day was Friday, May 31, 2024 She collected all of her gifts and notes from her students Took pictures with her seniors who she had as freshmen four years ago Turned in her keys and walked away from her Georgia classroom made up of predominantly  black and brown students  who needed her to stay. She is not (really) leaving because of the constant shift of politics/policies/procedures of her school district She survived that. She is not (really) leaving because she suddenly lost her colleague and mentor last year, her marigold. She survived that. She is not (really) leaving because of the overwhelming needs of her students  Who continue to need her even after they have left her class.  She did this tearfully because she was both too empty and too full to stay another year. She is going to graduate school for counseling in the fall Her next dream is to do horse therapy for children and young adults. She sees this as a failure on her part.  She could not stay in th