Skip to main content

Throw The Babies Out & Smile


I had an opportunity last semester to propose a workshop for the AMLE (Association for Middle Level Educators) Hawaiʻi Summit. I knew I wanted to create opportunities for them to lead and share even if they were still students. I have had these students for three years. I have nothing more to give them but my support. It is time to throw the babies out and just enjoy the show. In my usual nebulous way I let them know I was writing something for them to present. I then said I got accepted and put the memo out to see who wanted to come and present. Whoever said yes, not I guess, not maybe, came with me. 

Here is the write up:
Title: Our Keiki Are ʻOno!
Strand:  Hawaii Lighthouses
Description:
The University of Hawaiʻi West Oʻahu middle level and secondary teacher preparation program focuses on the idea that we want to produce teachers who believe that keiki are ʻono and our student teachersʻ kuleana, obligation, is to create the pilina, the relationships with their students that creates a culture in the classroom that is safe, engaging and filled with aloha. Participate with my student teachers and let them show you what they have done in their classrooms to create that kind of pilina.

In true karmic fashion, I spent days getting the slides ready to create the framework for what we were doing. I uploaded our handouts, and then of course my tech did not work so I just told them don't panic, this is what we are going to do instead and they just kept swimming along, go with the flow.

They did great. The group of teachers were super thankful. My job is done!! Proud of these two. Lydia Haff, currently student teaching at Waiʻanae High School. From Makaha. Hopefully, employed at Waiʻanae High School in the fall of 2018.

Naturalee Puou, student teaching at Nanakuli High and Inter (we hope and pray) in fall 2018. Hopefully employed at Nanakuli High and Inter in spring 2019. Proud graduate of Nanakuli High School.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kino (an indigenous logic model): post 1 of 4

Passion I have. What I need is to practice my elevator speeches, those short informative program synopses that can be done in the time it takes to ride the elevator.  Of course it will take me 4 posts. Post 1: The honua: building on solid ground The Alana culture-based education course is graphically depicted by the above logic model. The honua (green box), the earth, represents the mo'ok ūauhau, the geneology of this program that informs and guides the building of this course. Dr. Shawn Kanaʻiaupuni and her team lay the foundation for culture-based education (CBE) modeling and immersion within the course. Dr. Walter Kahumoku and Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa, in consultation with Dr. Bernice McCarthy (4Mat) bring to the geneology the work of moenahā, a curriculum planning concept based on the way kupuna taught. Makawalu, literally eight eyes, is a concept practiced by Kaʻimipono Kaiwi and her teachers at Kamehameha Kapālama to encourage multiple perspectives in the standards-b

Tech Tools to Support Formative Assessment in the Classroom

  Source:  Dyer, K. (Jan. 31, 2019). 75 digital tools and apps teachers can use to support formative assessment. NWEA blog . What is sacred: Normally, when I read an article that I am going to use for class, I highlight citations that are sacred, but this is a different type of article, so what I wanted to do was keep track of apps that I tried in class or am trying and use Dyer's own lens to talk about worth and value in my own classroom. I cannot do 75. I will do 5. Her criteria: S upports formative instructional strategies and ways to activate learners to be resources for themselves and peers Is free or awful close to it (under $10 per year, where possible) When possible, both students and teachers can take the activator role (sometimes teachers need to get things started) 1. Flipgrid  allows you, students, families to do a video response (from 15 seconds to now 10 minutes - I love a good upgrade). New in 2020 besides the added time - it used to be maxed at 5 minutes - is the a

Visual Synectics Strategy: Beyond the Icebreaker

To get professional conversations going, one strategy is the visual synectics strategy. The purpose is to select a visual and generate comparisons as a way to foster professional conversations within the table. Our visual options were: Martin Luther King Jr., Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz , Peter Falk from Columbo , Michael Jordan, Winston Churchill, Oprah Winfrey. The cloze passage for the day was: Learning with other professional educators is like_______________ because_______________. Our tongue in cheek response: Learning with other professional educators is like Dorothy because sometimes we need to realize that we're just not in Kansas anymore, embrace the change, learn through the process, and only then can we find our way back home. Why is this strategy  better than an icebreaker? It's not busy work. It guides participants to start thinking as a professional. It's not personal. The word icebreaker connotes that there is ice to be broken. People