Skip to main content

A Reminder


While I am saddened by the loss of Toni Morrison (2/18/31 - 8/5/19), the power of a writer is that their message lives on to teach more generations in the future. 

When I heard that she had passed, I thought about those students I had that were assigned her books for summer reading in my AP Language class back in the 90's. I assigned Bluest Eye one summer and Beloved another summer. I always held my breath until school started because I thought that if I were ever challenged by a parent or an administrator for my controversial choice, I would go down swinging and be willing to be fired for my choices. I also wonder what my students really thought about my choices.  I saw one of my alumni a few years back and she said that what she remembered from my AP class was that I had them read the most interesting, non traditional literature. Nice!

I even gave my youngest son Beloved  to read when his 8th grade English teacher said she wanted them to read books by Newberry medal winners. I sent her an email to get an exception for my son and let her know that he would be reading a book from a medal winning author, but to prepare him for high school, he would be reading Beloved, which won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction. Not only did she let him read it, but he did an oral book report using items as "symbols" for theme. I still laugh about his using the cow by my desk and how did he talk about the way the black men and masculinity were portrayed in the book to a class of 8th graders and to a former elementary teacher who I am pretty sure never read the book? How did he talk about atrocity without revealing the real horror so that no one would be the wiser? And what kind of mother puts this in the hands of her son? I think, like the quote above, it was a mother's message to him to keep his eyes open in school. To not turn away from the horror but also to critically refuse to succumb to the horror. Not sure if he would agree with me, but as a parent, I cannot take back how I raise my children. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Practice Dissertation Pre-Proposal, Part 1 of 4

My dissertation proposal as a culture-based education (CBE) version of Chopped All-Stars Please indulge my need for metaphors and analogies to make sense of my world. This is Part 1 of  4 blog posts to clarify my thinking on my proposed dissertation topic.  How will this study work? Gather strong chefs, leaders and innovators in their own right and challenge them to create synergistic culinary masterpieces in the CBE Project,  a professional development program. change chef to teacher; change culinary masterpieces to culture-based education-infused practices and curriculum )  The parameters:  time (Kamehameha Hawaiʻi 4-week course with deadlines for teachers' own action research and learning portfolio to follow) key ingredients ( CBE practices , moenahā framework, makawalu ,  and the   National Writing Project program model) the course (teachers' own content area and current curriculum) The question: How doe...

Dissertation Proposal 4 of 4: Timeline

Timeline Summer 12 - pre-proposal, lit reviews, submission for B-credit, negotiations for a course (place, time) Fall 12 - build the course using the village, build in  indigenous, developmental evaluation and sustainability Spring 13 - submit IRB approvals, pa ʻa the logic model, recruit teacher leaders Summer 13 - Alana Summer Institute Fall 13 - teacher action research and gathering of data Spring 14 - analyze data, write Summer 14 - write, collaborate, present This is a "in an ideal world" timeline that does not take into account the village, the permissions from higher ups, the ability to exist on a non-budget, the recruitment of teachers willing to participate in this work with me, the full time job duties that I already have AND the fact that Iʻm supposed to be in 6 or 9 credits worth of my own courses in the Summer of 13 on Oahu when I want to serve my Big Island teachers. Any suggestions?

South Africa bound

I am not, by nature, a cocktail party person. I am introverted, more comfortable on the sidelines, and I do not, like engaging in small talk. Writing Project leaders, though, by nature are outgoing, friendly people persons. What do Writing Project people schedule for their first activity at a new site director's conference? A cocktail party of course. An introverts strategy at a cocktail party is to stick close to the person you came with, and if you find yourself separated, then find one person you connect with and stick to them. That's how I met Cheryl Canada Logan, director for the mid Ohio writing project. Something just clicked with us. She was just back from Jamaica, having worked with teachers there. I talked about my interest in culture-based education and we hit it off. Who knew that the encounter at a cocktail party in Arizona would turn into an opportunity to join Cheryl in South Africa two years later, but that's how things seem to happen in life, so I...