Skip to main content

Theoretical Lens: A Journey Down the Rabbit Hole


I  have moved from doctoral student to dissertation chair in five years. It is a scary leap (or in this case, PLUNGE) into the unknown. I learn from the other chairs. I seek advice from my mentor and I laugh nervously when the program asks me to talk about things like my theoretical lens or my methodology. But I go into those scary, dark corners and learn as fast as I can because there are doctoral students that rely on me to get it together and figure out ways to help them meet these head splitting deadlines that seemed easier for me when I was the student. I can control myself. I cannot control anyone else. I know how to push myself to get my act together. I talk about this semi abusive self talk here a lot. But how to show both compassion and actionable support for others is difficult. I am trying not to fall apart.

First, our Ed.D. program incorporates two (2) capstone projects in their 3-year cohort program. What that means is that besides spending about a year in a consultancy project for a community organization, the students must then quickly transition to their individual action research types of dissertations, and they have about half a semester to quickly shift thinking from consultant to researcher all while holding down a full time job.

So when I was asked to talk about methodology and theoretical lens, my first reaction was I don't have one. Untrue. I would have been called out on not having it. Instead I had to dig through old blog posts and my handy Evernote app to relive that part of the journey where I was searching for theory. Like the students I have now, we did not have a lot of time. I had to be very intentional on how I read. Luckily, while I was doing this, I was traveling a lot for work, so I always made sure I had on my Evernote two articles for the roundtrip. I gave myself 45 minutes each way to read, highlight, make some connecting notes. I also had to take these words like theoretical lens and methodology and simplify them even more .

The theoretical lens is how I make meaning of the world. It is my own way of knowing. I am old enough and have studied myself long enough to realize that my lens does not change. In other words, some people see the world through a feminist lens. I do not. But I do have a lens. I just had to read things that moved me and helped me to see myself in a certain theory until I disappeared, stop reading, follow the references for those things that resonated and go to those sources. In other words, jump into the rabbit hole, but with intention.

By trying to go back to the part of my journey where I was careening down the hole, I was able to follow a path that led me to the place that I landed (which was really about creating my own theory, or rather explaining my theory using my own word: moʻo).


I started with Paulo Friere, Methodology of the Oppressed because while getting my master's with Manulani Meyer, it is where I ended up. I also like Linda Tuhiwai Smith's Decolonizing Methodologies, but as a researcher, I don't want to go there - nor do I want to still be decolonizing. My positionality was not to be radical or political in that way. I wanted to move forward from the whole oppression and colonization, even if I acknowledged my positionality within the oppression and colonization. So no to "critical race theory." I needed to  know how I make meaning and know what my tolerance was for telling my story. I landed on  Sandoval, Chela which led to a chapter called "Love as a Hermeneutics of Social Change" - Love as a Hermeneutic but I rejected the feminist, anti-racist pedagogy that is attached to this scholar and focused on Love as well as Hermeneutics

Hermeneutic - method or theory of interpretation (Hermeneutics - especially the interpretation of biblical texts, wisdom literature, and philosophical texts)

This led me to spirituality. It also led me back home to "Hawaiian Hermeneutics" - Manulani Meyer - intention, permission, first introduction, being awake. The rabbit hole called the references then led me to Reyes - ʻIke Kūʻokoʻa: Indigenous Critical Pedagogy - turns aside from the Western democratization and individual liberation of critical pedagogy, turns toward the liberation of entire communities and nations (from) Red  pedagogy (Grande); centers in place, land, and functional knowledge (Meyer).

I Followed my naʻau, gut thinking versus head thinking by seeing how spirituality, relational knowledge, values driven research could form into a pono methodology. When I would get stuck, I would open the ʻōlelo noʻeau book and look for my answer. Three years later, I heard Kū Kahakalau talk about Maʻawe Pono: research practices grounded in Hawaiian values and realized that in my own methods, that is what I had been doing.

So my lens is a social justice lens. It starts with a commitment to pono, kuleana, social justice, honoring my community of teachers: E kaʻahele i ka māʻawe o ka pono (Kūʻs translations) = tread on the good trail, the trail of goodness and righteousness, of honor and responsibility.

I combined it with my years of seeing teaching transformations, including my own via the Hawaii Writing Project - Relational methodology (teachers teaching teachers) ʻike aku, ʻike mai, kōkua aku, kōkua mai, pēlā ihola ka nohona ʻohana (know and be known, help and be helped, such is family life) also when asking teachers for feedback, it was over food, talk story, always starting with relationship, moving into very open ended tell me what happened types of questions that encourage their own story telling.

Collaborative pūpūkahi i holomua (what that looked like in how I designed my PD)
Participatory ma ka hana ka ʻike

Careful, purposeful preparation (Intentional) - ʻAʻohe ulu e loaʻa i ka pōkole o ka lou. (You need the right stick tool to pick the best breadfruit at the top of the tree). 

In a nutshell, then, my lens is a social justice lens focused on love, spirituality, intentionality, pono, relationships and sustainability. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kino (an indigenous logic model): post 1 of 4

Passion I have. What I need is to practice my elevator speeches, those short informative program synopses that can be done in the time it takes to ride the elevator.  Of course it will take me 4 posts. Post 1: The honua: building on solid ground The Alana culture-based education course is graphically depicted by the above logic model. The honua (green box), the earth, represents the mo'ok ūauhau, the geneology of this program that informs and guides the building of this course. Dr. Shawn Kanaʻiaupuni and her team lay the foundation for culture-based education (CBE) modeling and immersion within the course. Dr. Walter Kahumoku and Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa, in consultation with Dr. Bernice McCarthy (4Mat) bring to the geneology the work of moenahā, a curriculum planning concept based on the way kupuna taught. Makawalu, literally eight eyes, is a concept practiced by Kaʻimipono Kaiwi and her teachers at Kamehameha Kapālama to encourage multiple perspectives in the standards-b

Tech Tools to Support Formative Assessment in the Classroom

  Source:  Dyer, K. (Jan. 31, 2019). 75 digital tools and apps teachers can use to support formative assessment. NWEA blog . What is sacred: Normally, when I read an article that I am going to use for class, I highlight citations that are sacred, but this is a different type of article, so what I wanted to do was keep track of apps that I tried in class or am trying and use Dyer's own lens to talk about worth and value in my own classroom. I cannot do 75. I will do 5. Her criteria: S upports formative instructional strategies and ways to activate learners to be resources for themselves and peers Is free or awful close to it (under $10 per year, where possible) When possible, both students and teachers can take the activator role (sometimes teachers need to get things started) 1. Flipgrid  allows you, students, families to do a video response (from 15 seconds to now 10 minutes - I love a good upgrade). New in 2020 besides the added time - it used to be maxed at 5 minutes - is the a

Visual Synectics Strategy: Beyond the Icebreaker

To get professional conversations going, one strategy is the visual synectics strategy. The purpose is to select a visual and generate comparisons as a way to foster professional conversations within the table. Our visual options were: Martin Luther King Jr., Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz , Peter Falk from Columbo , Michael Jordan, Winston Churchill, Oprah Winfrey. The cloze passage for the day was: Learning with other professional educators is like_______________ because_______________. Our tongue in cheek response: Learning with other professional educators is like Dorothy because sometimes we need to realize that we're just not in Kansas anymore, embrace the change, learn through the process, and only then can we find our way back home. Why is this strategy  better than an icebreaker? It's not busy work. It guides participants to start thinking as a professional. It's not personal. The word icebreaker connotes that there is ice to be broken. People