Skip to main content

I am the child of white ginger


white ginger

Na wai ke kupu o ʻoe? Whose sprout are you? Whose child are you?
 

 

As I prepare to start  fall semester in a few weeks, I go through the same motions that I have for the past 28 years. I create my syllabus, gather my resources, go over my notes from the year before, create my semester plan, my units, my day one lesson. This rhythm is familiar. But there is nothing familiar about this school year. In this year of pandemic, the new normal is that there is no normal. When our leaders shut the schools down at spring break, when planes stopped flying, businesses closed, when all we had was each other on the other end of a Zoom call to understand that there was a world outside of our house, we were just playing at normalcy because the end of the tunnel was summer when schools would be out, when we would flatten the curve, when we could start opening up again. As long as we could see the light at the end of the tunnel (June 1, July 1, August 1. . .) we could talk ourselves into the idea that things would go back to normal.

 

That was not the light at the end of the tunnel. It was indeed another train coming towards us.

 

The challenge is that I cannot fully prepare for an unknown future when I cannot use the lessons I learned from the past. My 28 years of “first days of school” does not help me. Instead, I need to start with me. . I must answer the question in the ‘ōlelo noʻeau: na wai ke kupu o ʻoe?  In order to answer that, I need to go further back to the women that made me in order to reacquaint myself with the tools for survivance that I inherited from my mothers. In this same way, I will start my new semester with these teacher candidates also starting with themselves in order to use their identity and their lineage of survivors to find solace.

 

I cannot tell all of my mothers' stories. It would take me another lifetime. But I can offer a metaphor that talks about their ability to push back against absenteeism, victimry, erasure. . .their ability to grow “despite concrete” (Cisneros, Four Skinny Trees).

 

My mothers are the white ginger patch of Lahaina. 


White ginger likes the rain forest middle lands where it is lush and it can spread its shoots out to catch the rain. Even in ideal situations, though, they are rare because they must compete with the more aggressive yellow ginger. Lahaina is neither rainforest nor middle lands. Lahaina is on the dry, west side of Maui, red dirt, ocean, no “wai” in its name. But I was born on Waineʻe Road, two blocks up from the famous Front Street in my maternal grandmother’s house. On the side of the garage was a thriving white ginger clump fed by the wash water that emptied into the red dirt yard. I get a headache from the smell of yellow ginger leis. It is more cloying and strong. When you leave a room with your yellow ginger lei, the smell clings to the furniture.  But the white ginger is a subtle, shy smell just for the wearer. My mothers are that white ginger patch thriving in places that may not be ideal, may not be glamorous, may not even be logical. But they thrived, and survived, and they remind me everyday with their subtle presence – we are still here. I come from my mothers, my ʻawapuhi keʻokeo, survivors, teachers, leaders. . .and that gives me hope.

 

Na wai ke kupu o ʻoe? Whose sprout are you? Whose child are you?

 

Naʻu ke kupu o koʻu mau māmā ( I am the child of my mothers)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kino (an indigenous logic model): post 1 of 4

Passion I have. What I need is to practice my elevator speeches, those short informative program synopses that can be done in the time it takes to ride the elevator.  Of course it will take me 4 posts. Post 1: The honua: building on solid ground The Alana culture-based education course is graphically depicted by the above logic model. The honua (green box), the earth, represents the mo'ok ūauhau, the geneology of this program that informs and guides the building of this course. Dr. Shawn Kanaʻiaupuni and her team lay the foundation for culture-based education (CBE) modeling and immersion within the course. Dr. Walter Kahumoku and Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa, in consultation with Dr. Bernice McCarthy (4Mat) bring to the geneology the work of moenahā, a curriculum planning concept based on the way kupuna taught. Makawalu, literally eight eyes, is a concept practiced by Kaʻimipono Kaiwi and her teachers at Kamehameha Kapālama to encourage multiple perspectives in the standards-b

Tech Tools to Support Formative Assessment in the Classroom

  Source:  Dyer, K. (Jan. 31, 2019). 75 digital tools and apps teachers can use to support formative assessment. NWEA blog . What is sacred: Normally, when I read an article that I am going to use for class, I highlight citations that are sacred, but this is a different type of article, so what I wanted to do was keep track of apps that I tried in class or am trying and use Dyer's own lens to talk about worth and value in my own classroom. I cannot do 75. I will do 5. Her criteria: S upports formative instructional strategies and ways to activate learners to be resources for themselves and peers Is free or awful close to it (under $10 per year, where possible) When possible, both students and teachers can take the activator role (sometimes teachers need to get things started) 1. Flipgrid  allows you, students, families to do a video response (from 15 seconds to now 10 minutes - I love a good upgrade). New in 2020 besides the added time - it used to be maxed at 5 minutes - is the a

Visual Synectics Strategy: Beyond the Icebreaker

To get professional conversations going, one strategy is the visual synectics strategy. The purpose is to select a visual and generate comparisons as a way to foster professional conversations within the table. Our visual options were: Martin Luther King Jr., Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz , Peter Falk from Columbo , Michael Jordan, Winston Churchill, Oprah Winfrey. The cloze passage for the day was: Learning with other professional educators is like_______________ because_______________. Our tongue in cheek response: Learning with other professional educators is like Dorothy because sometimes we need to realize that we're just not in Kansas anymore, embrace the change, learn through the process, and only then can we find our way back home. Why is this strategy  better than an icebreaker? It's not busy work. It guides participants to start thinking as a professional. It's not personal. The word icebreaker connotes that there is ice to be broken. People