Skip to main content

English Teacher's Companion Ning


If one of your new year's resolutions is to be a more reflective and FABULOUS English teacher, then join the English Companion ning right now. This ning (social website with a specific focus) was started by Jim Burke, prolific author (English Teacher's Companion, The Teacher's Daybook, Reading Reminders, Writing Reminders, Tools for Thought: Graphic Organizers in the Classroom, etc.) webmaster, and guru for secondary English teachers. English teachers can join groups, start discussions, participate in discussions, blog and meet other English teachers from around the country and around the world. Within less than one month of starting this ning, there are already 600+ educators learning from each other.
I think I joined two weeks ago, and everyday that I go on and read the discussions, join in, and hear mana'o from other educators, I learn and am inspired again. The passion for teaching is contagious. People have great forum topics and it is as beneficial for the newbies as for the veteran teachers. Take advantage of this free opportunity to get high quality professional development.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An open letter to my Boy 3, Tom Kalamapono

These young men are Pono'I and Pono B. My son is on the left. He is a freshman at Reed College in Oregon and I just saw a post on Instagram that he is feeling homesick. As a mother of a Native Hawaiian boy, this is alarming to me. The statistics on our Native Hawaiian students who get into universities or community colleges is pretty good. We can get them in. But the percentage of Native Hawaiian students who drop out after their freshman year is atrocious. We have about a 60% drop out rate after their freshman year. So this is just my letter to him.
Dear Pono,
I just got a newsletter in my inbox from Reed and I was drawn to the article written by Mylion Trulove, your Dean of Admission. He is the one that called and invited you and talked us through the process. 
This is what I found out. There were 5,705 applicants (including you) who applied. Maybe for some this was not their first choice, but I know that Reed was your first choice. They accepted 357 of you. I think Milyon pers…

Free Online read of Walter Dean Myer's Dope Sick

Browse Inside this book Get this for your site
Walter Dean Myer's Second Chance InitiativeAdLit.org's online promotionfor Dope Sick, the latest book from award-winning author Walter Dean Myers continues through February. We've added author podcasts and interviews, and Dope Sick is now available for free online reading.

Cute site for Grammar Posters: Oatmeal.com

I love the resources on the Internet and while trying to edit  a document for work, I came across this hilarious grammar site that can help students and make them laugh too.
I was looking up semicolon rules and they have it in kid friendly, clear text, hilarious sample sentences and cartoons (my personal fave).

They also offer the cute posters for a reasonable amount, so if you want something to put on your walls for a chuckle, check them out.