Skip to main content

Voice Threads in the social studies classroom


I've used voice threads in my language arts class, but how did it work in other classes, and how was it better once we actually paid the $1/child for their own account?

This is an example from Mele's Hawaiian studies class. The students were doing research on Princess Pauahi and what she did for her people, then they drew a picture for their slide and wrote a script.

Positives: the students were able to continue recording until they were satisfied. They took to the technology quickly. They were able to get comments from their parents, so there was a connection between school and home.

Things we still need to work on: I continue to say this, and I'm going to say this again: technology is just a tool. Good literacy instruction is the foundation for all projects, so teachers need to check the writing first. I think Mele had to go back after some were recorded because their information was wrong. We're working on fixing that - check everything first. Second, the students needed to take more time for their artwork. Can you tell they're 6th graders. I think it has to do with how much time to give them. Maybe bring the art teacher into it. Last, technical support takes up a lot of time, despite paying. Our laptops run slow on wireless after lunch, and so it doesn't record right away.

Next project: demonstration math problems for algebra and pre-algebra. Hopefully, I'll up my learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kino (an indigenous logic model): post 1 of 4

Passion I have. What I need is to practice my elevator speeches, those short informative program synopses that can be done in the time it takes to ride the elevator.  Of course it will take me 4 posts. Post 1: The honua: building on solid ground The Alana culture-based education course is graphically depicted by the above logic model. The honua (green box), the earth, represents the mo'ok ūauhau, the geneology of this program that informs and guides the building of this course. Dr. Shawn Kanaʻiaupuni and her team lay the foundation for culture-based education (CBE) modeling and immersion within the course. Dr. Walter Kahumoku and Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa, in consultation with Dr. Bernice McCarthy (4Mat) bring to the geneology the work of moenahā, a curriculum planning concept based on the way kupuna taught. Makawalu, literally eight eyes, is a concept practiced by Kaʻimipono Kaiwi and her teachers at Kamehameha Kapālama to encourage multiple perspectives in the standards-b

Tech Tools to Support Formative Assessment in the Classroom

  Source:  Dyer, K. (Jan. 31, 2019). 75 digital tools and apps teachers can use to support formative assessment. NWEA blog . What is sacred: Normally, when I read an article that I am going to use for class, I highlight citations that are sacred, but this is a different type of article, so what I wanted to do was keep track of apps that I tried in class or am trying and use Dyer's own lens to talk about worth and value in my own classroom. I cannot do 75. I will do 5. Her criteria: S upports formative instructional strategies and ways to activate learners to be resources for themselves and peers Is free or awful close to it (under $10 per year, where possible) When possible, both students and teachers can take the activator role (sometimes teachers need to get things started) 1. Flipgrid  allows you, students, families to do a video response (from 15 seconds to now 10 minutes - I love a good upgrade). New in 2020 besides the added time - it used to be maxed at 5 minutes - is the a

50 Mentor Text Across Antarctica

Grann, D. (2018, February 12 & 13). The white darkness: A solitary journey across Antarctica. New Yorker Magazine . Retrieved from here . What the New Yorker  does for me is to bring into my periphery vision these people and their stories that I would not know about if I had not picked up the article. What the New Yorker  does for me is gather the most beautifully talented writers to bring these people's lives to life in a way that has me crying and cheering and rushing through while slowing down to savor the adventure, the joy and the bittersweet loss of living a real life. I will remember Henry Worsley and his wife Joanne, his son Max and his daughter that he calls "Shrimp" although his children are both adults. These Brits, via an American magazine found their way to a small Pacific Island surrounded by our own blue Antarctica. These are the kinds of pieces that I want to use as mentor texts for my students. Even when I do not know how I would use it exce