Skip to main content

Reading Ladders - Teri Lesesne


The Hawaii Council of Teachers of English (HCTE) sponsored "Professor Nana," Dr. Teri Lesesne (rhymes with insane) for their fall workshop this morning at Mid Pacific Institute in Mānoa.

Neither the $50 fee nor the fact that this was a gorgeous Saturday and we were in a 1/2-day workshop was enough to dissuade the packed cafeteria of teachers. If you LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YA and tween books like I do. . .if it's your guilty pleasure. . .if you read YA books in order to find something one of your reluctant readers will devour, then Professor Nana is the ultimate source in YA books. I first saw her in San Antonio for a literacy workshop with Kylene Beers. I have followed her blog The YA Goddess since 06, and whenever I'm at NCTE, I make sure I go to at least one of her sessions. It's true that her power points are always on her slide share account, but I always get more insight when I watch her because she book talks some of the covers that are in her slide show.

In between teaching my 9th graders and reading for my doctoral class this semester, I'd love to discuss some manaʻo from her book, Reading Ladders: Leading Student from Where They Are to Where Weʻd Like to Be (Heinemann). The gist of what I got from today's talk was that reading ladders combine elements of thematic units, vertical alignment and planning, as well as horizontal alignment and planning. It's a way to scaffold instruction as well as a way to keep students motivated to read, so that with the less secure readers, you take smaller steps.

I think this concept of having the next book ready for students, and planning horizontally and vertically around reading is one of the pieces that is missing in unsuccessful SSR programs. It's just not enough to tell the kids to read. It's not enough to take them to the library. We need to read aloud to our secondary students, and we need to carve out some time to talk books. We need to think schematically (and thematically) about books. Now if only we could get paid to read for pleasure.

Mahalo to Anna Lee from HCTE for letting me know about the workshop. They have more fabulous speakers coming: November 6, 2010 Stephanie Harvey and Smoky Daniels (Comprehension and Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action); February 12, 2011 Ralph Fletcher (Pyrotechnics on the Page: Playful Craft that Sparks Writing)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Practice Dissertation Pre-Proposal, Part 1 of 4

My dissertation proposal as a culture-based education (CBE) version of Chopped All-Stars Please indulge my need for metaphors and analogies to make sense of my world. This is Part 1 of  4 blog posts to clarify my thinking on my proposed dissertation topic.  How will this study work? Gather strong chefs, leaders and innovators in their own right and challenge them to create synergistic culinary masterpieces in the CBE Project,  a professional development program. change chef to teacher; change culinary masterpieces to culture-based education-infused practices and curriculum )  The parameters:  time (Kamehameha Hawaiʻi 4-week course with deadlines for teachers' own action research and learning portfolio to follow) key ingredients ( CBE practices , moenahā framework, makawalu ,  and the   National Writing Project program model) the course (teachers' own content area and current curriculum) The question: How doe...

Dissertation Proposal 4 of 4: Timeline

Timeline Summer 12 - pre-proposal, lit reviews, submission for B-credit, negotiations for a course (place, time) Fall 12 - build the course using the village, build in  indigenous, developmental evaluation and sustainability Spring 13 - submit IRB approvals, pa ʻa the logic model, recruit teacher leaders Summer 13 - Alana Summer Institute Fall 13 - teacher action research and gathering of data Spring 14 - analyze data, write Summer 14 - write, collaborate, present This is a "in an ideal world" timeline that does not take into account the village, the permissions from higher ups, the ability to exist on a non-budget, the recruitment of teachers willing to participate in this work with me, the full time job duties that I already have AND the fact that Iʻm supposed to be in 6 or 9 credits worth of my own courses in the Summer of 13 on Oahu when I want to serve my Big Island teachers. Any suggestions?

South Africa bound

I am not, by nature, a cocktail party person. I am introverted, more comfortable on the sidelines, and I do not, like engaging in small talk. Writing Project leaders, though, by nature are outgoing, friendly people persons. What do Writing Project people schedule for their first activity at a new site director's conference? A cocktail party of course. An introverts strategy at a cocktail party is to stick close to the person you came with, and if you find yourself separated, then find one person you connect with and stick to them. That's how I met Cheryl Canada Logan, director for the mid Ohio writing project. Something just clicked with us. She was just back from Jamaica, having worked with teachers there. I talked about my interest in culture-based education and we hit it off. Who knew that the encounter at a cocktail party in Arizona would turn into an opportunity to join Cheryl in South Africa two years later, but that's how things seem to happen in life, so I...