Skip to main content

Tech Tools to Support Formative Assessment in the Classroom

 


Source: 

Dyer, K. (Jan. 31, 2019). 75 digital tools and apps teachers can use to support formative assessment. NWEA blog.

What is sacred:

Normally, when I read an article that I am going to use for class, I highlight citations that are sacred, but this is a different type of article, so what I wanted to do was keep track of apps that I tried in class or am trying and use Dyer's own lens to talk about worth and value in my own classroom. I cannot do 75. I will do 5.

Her criteria:
  • Supports formative instructional strategies and ways to activate learners to be resources for themselves and peers
  • Is free or awful close to it (under $10 per year, where possible)
  • When possible, both students and teachers can take the activator role (sometimes teachers need to get things started)
1. Flipgrid allows you, students, families to do a video response (from 15 seconds to now 10 minutes - I love a good upgrade). New in 2020 besides the added time - it used to be maxed at 5 minutes - is the ability not just for the teacher, but also other students to provide either video response or written response. Perfect for English teachers like me. I am going to have to bring this back to my methods course. I have not played around with the full potential of Flipgrid in the classroom besides using this as an oral discussion post based on readings, however, I want to play around with this and do some activities that I used to do with VoiceThread before VoiceThread got sucky and expensive. Flipgrid also has an educator free account that makes it seamless to get students on even if they are younger than 13. 

2. Padlet is a great way for students to collaborate. Some people swear by Padlet, so I wanted to put it here. I like the flexibility of being able to put up text, photos, gifs, respond to each other, etc. What I do not like, even if it is in my top 5 is that it costs more than $10 although I can use the free version and just keep saving and throwing away Padlets so that I can stay in the 3 free version for 4ever. I am waiting for them to offer a free for educators in a pandemic plan (like Zoom and Flipgrid). Until then, I use this more like I am a used tech salesman than a curriculum creator.  As for formative assessment - students can respond to prompts, include text, data, etc. and give feedback to each other. 

3. Mentimeter now has an education free. Yes! I like this because it gives me real time feedback and others can see it. I like that you can allow students to respond multiple times so that they can respond based on someone else's response. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Professional Practice Dissertation Pre-Proposal, Part 1 of 4

My dissertation proposal as a culture-based education (CBE) version of Chopped All-Stars Please indulge my need for metaphors and analogies to make sense of my world. This is Part 1 of  4 blog posts to clarify my thinking on my proposed dissertation topic.  How will this study work? Gather strong chefs, leaders and innovators in their own right and challenge them to create synergistic culinary masterpieces in the CBE Project,  a professional development program. change chef to teacher; change culinary masterpieces to culture-based education-infused practices and curriculum )  The parameters:  time (Kamehameha Hawaiʻi 4-week course with deadlines for teachers' own action research and learning portfolio to follow) key ingredients ( CBE practices , moenahā framework, makawalu ,  and the   National Writing Project program model) the course (teachers' own content area and current curriculum) The question: How doe...

Dissertation Proposal 4 of 4: Timeline

Timeline Summer 12 - pre-proposal, lit reviews, submission for B-credit, negotiations for a course (place, time) Fall 12 - build the course using the village, build in  indigenous, developmental evaluation and sustainability Spring 13 - submit IRB approvals, pa ʻa the logic model, recruit teacher leaders Summer 13 - Alana Summer Institute Fall 13 - teacher action research and gathering of data Spring 14 - analyze data, write Summer 14 - write, collaborate, present This is a "in an ideal world" timeline that does not take into account the village, the permissions from higher ups, the ability to exist on a non-budget, the recruitment of teachers willing to participate in this work with me, the full time job duties that I already have AND the fact that Iʻm supposed to be in 6 or 9 credits worth of my own courses in the Summer of 13 on Oahu when I want to serve my Big Island teachers. Any suggestions?

South Africa bound

I am not, by nature, a cocktail party person. I am introverted, more comfortable on the sidelines, and I do not, like engaging in small talk. Writing Project leaders, though, by nature are outgoing, friendly people persons. What do Writing Project people schedule for their first activity at a new site director's conference? A cocktail party of course. An introverts strategy at a cocktail party is to stick close to the person you came with, and if you find yourself separated, then find one person you connect with and stick to them. That's how I met Cheryl Canada Logan, director for the mid Ohio writing project. Something just clicked with us. She was just back from Jamaica, having worked with teachers there. I talked about my interest in culture-based education and we hit it off. Who knew that the encounter at a cocktail party in Arizona would turn into an opportunity to join Cheryl in South Africa two years later, but that's how things seem to happen in life, so I...