Skip to main content

Tea Obsession


Tea
Originally uploaded by cathy.ikeda
I absolutely hate water. Mostly because, well, it just tastes like. . .water. But in WW (weight watchers), part of the program, and my weekly challenge to myself, is to drink water. . . LOTS of it per day (6 - 8 cups). Most people can drink that amount in the morning, but I could last on that amount for the whole week. My body is used to being dehydrated. It's my training method for survival in case of nuclear disaster and the water supplies are contaminated. They say that humans will die within several days without water, but my finely honed, water-starved body can last for months.
Anyway, since I have to drink "water," I drink lots of tea (one cup equals 1/2 cup of water because of the caffeine). This is my latest tea obsession flavor and I drink lots of it because the stuff I tend to like usually is seasonal or on its way out. This vanilla caramel truffle comes in these cool pyramid shaped loose tea bags and they smell heavenly, like caramels. I put about half a packet of Splenda and yummy! It's like drinking tea and candy.
The only down side of this is that the pyramid bags are loosely woven so that the black tea tends to come out of it (just the dust), so the box needs to be stored in a quart ziploc. When you get it at the store, it's wrapped in plastic and you see the tea dust on the outside. It looks like termite droppings or something, which is not appealing for consumers, which is why I believe my tea will most likely be discontinued. But for now, it's usually on sale at Safeway (probably owing to the unappealing nature of the tea spilling out). They do have other flavors of tea spilling out boxes like mandarin orange with real mandarin orange pieces in the tea bags, but the vanilla caramel is the one to try before it goes away.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Tea...the enjoyment of it has become a science for the Brits and the Japanese. There must be something to it to sit through three hours of a tea ceremony, nibbling on dainty tidbits, and then hoping one can stand up and walk those oxygen deprived legs after sitting hiza all that time!!

In my small plantation town, tea was more rustic. Japanese boxes held genmai, or hojicha. The Japanese immigrants also grew a plant in their gardens which yielded a seed pod. The seeds were roasted and made into a tea. It was delicious. In fact, the Garden Guy's article in the Hawaii Tribune Herald talked about his kind of tea.

My dad talked about making teas from different plants in the days when he was so poor to purchase tea was not an option.

There must be something that goes beyond tea as a hot beverage but rather a warmer of the soul.

Popular posts from this blog

Kino (an indigenous logic model): post 1 of 4

Passion I have. What I need is to practice my elevator speeches, those short informative program synopses that can be done in the time it takes to ride the elevator.  Of course it will take me 4 posts. Post 1: The honua: building on solid ground The Alana culture-based education course is graphically depicted by the above logic model. The honua (green box), the earth, represents the mo'ok ūauhau, the geneology of this program that informs and guides the building of this course. Dr. Shawn Kanaʻiaupuni and her team lay the foundation for culture-based education (CBE) modeling and immersion within the course. Dr. Walter Kahumoku and Keiki Kawaiʻaeʻa, in consultation with Dr. Bernice McCarthy (4Mat) bring to the geneology the work of moenahā, a curriculum planning concept based on the way kupuna taught. Makawalu, literally eight eyes, is a concept practiced by Kaʻimipono Kaiwi and her teachers at Kamehameha Kapālama to encourage multiple perspectives in the standards-b

Tech Tools to Support Formative Assessment in the Classroom

  Source:  Dyer, K. (Jan. 31, 2019). 75 digital tools and apps teachers can use to support formative assessment. NWEA blog . What is sacred: Normally, when I read an article that I am going to use for class, I highlight citations that are sacred, but this is a different type of article, so what I wanted to do was keep track of apps that I tried in class or am trying and use Dyer's own lens to talk about worth and value in my own classroom. I cannot do 75. I will do 5. Her criteria: S upports formative instructional strategies and ways to activate learners to be resources for themselves and peers Is free or awful close to it (under $10 per year, where possible) When possible, both students and teachers can take the activator role (sometimes teachers need to get things started) 1. Flipgrid  allows you, students, families to do a video response (from 15 seconds to now 10 minutes - I love a good upgrade). New in 2020 besides the added time - it used to be maxed at 5 minutes - is the a

Visual Synectics Strategy: Beyond the Icebreaker

To get professional conversations going, one strategy is the visual synectics strategy. The purpose is to select a visual and generate comparisons as a way to foster professional conversations within the table. Our visual options were: Martin Luther King Jr., Dorothy Gale from The Wizard of Oz , Peter Falk from Columbo , Michael Jordan, Winston Churchill, Oprah Winfrey. The cloze passage for the day was: Learning with other professional educators is like_______________ because_______________. Our tongue in cheek response: Learning with other professional educators is like Dorothy because sometimes we need to realize that we're just not in Kansas anymore, embrace the change, learn through the process, and only then can we find our way back home. Why is this strategy  better than an icebreaker? It's not busy work. It guides participants to start thinking as a professional. It's not personal. The word icebreaker connotes that there is ice to be broken. People