Skip to main content

Day 42: Busy is an Excuse

The point:

In this American society, we use busy-ness as an excuse but really, we are not bees. Our need to fill time is a fear of the alternative. Busy does not make us happy. So what is the alternative?

What is sacred:

the present hysteria is not a necessary or inevitable condition of life; it's something we've chosen, if only by our acquiescence to it
busyness serves as a kind of existential reassurance, a hedge against emptiness; obviously your life cannot possibly be silly or trivial or meaningless if you are so busy, completely booked, in demand every hour of the day. 
I've always understood that the best investment of my limited time on earth was to spend it with people I love. I suppose it's possible I'll lie on my deathbed regretting that I didn't work harder and say everything I had to say, but I think what I'll really wish is that I could have one more beer with Chris, another long talk with Megan, one last good hard laugh with Boyd. Life is too short to be busy.  

Connections to current/future work:

Tim Kreider, the author wrote something that just jumped out on me in his essay:
I am not busy. I am the laziest ambitious person I know.
That's my connection. I really despise busy. When I am working at a job that I find is too easy, I do make work, but it is not to keep myself busy. It is more to make sure that I add value to my situation. Wanting to be challenged is not the same as being busy.

Working hard is not being busy. I was the advisor for a high school yearbook. I never paid because I missed a deadline and always left by 4:30 to pick up my kids. I worked hard, but I was not too busy to pick up my own kids, take them to practice, have dinner on the table or at least pick up dinner on the way home. This article reminds me that I need to share those self care strategies that I had when I was a young mother and a young teacher sometimes doing everything by myself.

Source:
Krieder, T. (2012, June 30). The 'busy trap'. New York Times [blog]. Retrieved from https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/the-busy-trap/?_r=0
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An open letter to my Boy 3, Tom Kalamapono

These young men are Pono'I and Pono B. My son is on the left. He is a freshman at Reed College in Oregon and I just saw a post on Instagram that he is feeling homesick. As a mother of a Native Hawaiian boy, this is alarming to me. The statistics on our Native Hawaiian students who get into universities or community colleges is pretty good. We can get them in. But the percentage of Native Hawaiian students who drop out after their freshman year is atrocious. We have about a 60% drop out rate after their freshman year. So this is just my letter to him.
Dear Pono,
I just got a newsletter in my inbox from Reed and I was drawn to the article written by Mylion Trulove, your Dean of Admission. He is the one that called and invited you and talked us through the process. 
This is what I found out. There were 5,705 applicants (including you) who applied. Maybe for some this was not their first choice, but I know that Reed was your first choice. They accepted 357 of you. I think Milyon pers…

Cute site for Grammar Posters: Oatmeal.com

I love the resources on the Internet and while trying to edit  a document for work, I came across this hilarious grammar site that can help students and make them laugh too.
I was looking up semicolon rules and they have it in kid friendly, clear text, hilarious sample sentences and cartoons (my personal fave).

They also offer the cute posters for a reasonable amount, so if you want something to put on your walls for a chuckle, check them out.

Free Online read of Walter Dean Myer's Dope Sick

Browse Inside this book Get this for your site
Walter Dean Myer's Second Chance InitiativeAdLit.org's online promotionfor Dope Sick, the latest book from award-winning author Walter Dean Myers continues through February. We've added author podcasts and interviews, and Dope Sick is now available for free online reading.